Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Trump barred from attacks on judge's daughter in New York "hush money" case gag order -Ascend Wealth Education
Surpassing:Trump barred from attacks on judge's daughter in New York "hush money" case gag order
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 20:32:57
A New York judge barred former President Donald Trump Monday from making public comments about the judge's family.
The Surpassingorder by Judge Juan Merchan came after prosecutors for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg asked Merchan to expand a previously issued gag order in the case, "making clear that the court's family is off-limits."
Merchan ultimately decided that the comments about his daughter would "undoubtedly interfere with the fair administration of justice and constitutes a direct attack on the Rule of Law itself."
"The average observer must now, after hearing Defendant's recent attacks, draw the conclusion that if they become involved in these proceedings, even tangentially, they should worry not only for themselves, but their loved ones," Merchan wrote. "Such concerns will undoubtedly interfere with the fair administration of justice and constitutes a direct attack on the Rule of Law itself."
Steven Cheung, a spokesperson for Trump's presidential campaign, called the new gag order "unconstitutional" in a statement to CBS News, claiming it prevents Trump "from engaging in core political speech."
"Worst of all, the gag order violates the civil rights of over 100 million Americans who follow President Trump and have a First Amendment right to receive and listen to his speech," said Cheung, echoing an argument made by Trump's lawyers.
Trump repeatedly mentioned Judge Merchan's daughter in social media posts before and after Merchan imposed a gag order on March 26, restricting what Trump could say about those involved in the upcoming April 15 trial.
Trump was barred from commenting on potential witnesses in the case, prospective jurors, court staff, lawyers in Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office and the relatives of any counsel or court staffer — but was free to attack Bragg and Merchan.
Trump instead focused his ire on Merchan's daughter, decrying her work for a Democratic consulting firm, linking to an article with a photo of her, and claiming she had posted a doctored photo of him behind bars.
That claim was debunked by a court spokesperson, Al Baker, who said the photo was the result of a "manipulation of an account she long ago abandoned."
Trump's lawyers highlighted Baker's rebuttal in their effort to prevent the gag order from being expanded, accusing Merchan in a Monday filing of using "the Office of Court Administration to respond to media reports relating to Your Honor's daughter."
They also indicated in the filing that they would for a second time seek Merchan's recusal from the case, arguing Merchan should not have participated in a recent interview with the Associated Press. In the interview, Merchan declined to discuss the trial beyond saying his preparation was "intense" and that he is striving "to make sure that I've done everything I could to be prepared and to make sure that we dispense justice."
"There's no agenda here," Merchan said in the interview. "We want to follow the law. We want justice to be done."
The case revolves around reimbursements for a "hush money" payment made by his former lawyer to an adult film star, days before the 2016 presidential election. Trump denies all allegations, has claimed the charges were political retribution, and has entered a not guilty plea in the case, in which he is charged with 34 felony counts of falsification of business records.
- In:
- Donald Trump
- New York
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (64)
prev:Trump's 'stop
next:Small twin
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- So your tween wants a smartphone? Read this first
- Home prices dip, Turkey's interest rate climbs, Amazon gets sued
- Erin Andrews and Husband Jarret Stoll Welcome First Baby Via Surrogate
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Charli D'Amelio Shares 6 Deals You’ll Find in Her Amazon Cart for Prime Day 2023
- Once Cheap, Wind and Solar Prices Are Up 34%. What’s the Outlook?
- Are Amazon Prime Day deals worth it? 5 things to know
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Ohio Senate Contest Features Two Candidates Who Profess Love for Natural Gas
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 'Fresh Air' hosts Terry Gross and Tonya Mosley talk news, Detroit and psychedelics
- Supreme Court kills Biden's student debt plan in a setback for millions of borrowers
- 'Oppenheimer' looks at the building of the bomb, and the lingering fallout
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Colson Whitehead channels the paranoia and fear of 1970s NYC in 'Crook Manifesto'
- Our fireworks show
- Legacy admissions, the Russian Ruble and Final Fantasy XVI
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Indiana, Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin Lag on Environmental Justice Issues
Why Taylor Russell Supporting Harry Styles Has Social Media in a Frenzy
Post-Tucker Carlson, Fox News hopes Jesse Watters will bring back viewers
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here’s How to Get Started
How a New ‘Battery Data Genome’ Project Will Use Vast Amounts of Information to Build Better EVs
'Wait Wait' for July 22, 2023: Live in Portland with Damian Lillard!